Friday, August 20, 2010




Summer is slowly coming to an end. I only have about a week before I leave on my big trip and wont be able to see my boyfriend until Christmas. I am remarkably sad. It is going to be one of the hardest things I have ever been through and I am not looking forward to it. Another thing that is slowly coming is college and the daunting problem of becoming lost in The Ohio States giant landscape. Bid me good luck because I will need it.


College also brings me to the sad realization that I will not be able to cook until Christmas and cook I shall. I will gain a lot of weight simply because I'll be baking so much and "testing" my creation.


I now bring you doughnuts.


Yes, I said doughnuts. One of the many things I have on my list to make. I was nervous, I don't even know if I did them correctly, and I was like a watchful dog once these little doughnuts hit the oil. The verdict ended in my friends enjoying them so I would like to say it was a success. My personal opinion is that some were a little dry, especially my first ones. Other than that it turned out great and in all reality was not too difficult.


Chocolate Doughnut Holes


Ingredients

  • 2 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened dutch-process cocoa
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup sour cream or buttermilk
  • 3 tbs butter, melted and cooled a bit
  • Vegetable oil for frying

For Glaze

  • 8 oz powdered sugar
  • 3 tbs milk
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Put flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl whisk eggs, sugar, sour cream, and butter. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until incorporated. Chill batter for about an hour.

When it is thick enough to handle, make round balls of batter, generously using flour so they do not stick.

Heat oil to about 375 degrees.

Add the holes to the oil but do not over crowd the pan. I rotated them quite often so they were cooked the same through out. It is difficult to tell when they are done since they are dark colored already but use your best judgment and you may have to experiment a little. Do not leave them in over two minutes or they may become to dry.

Take them out and put them on a paper towel lined plate. Let cool. Continue to cook the rest of the holes but make sure the temperature is 375 before you add them again.

For the doughnut glaze simply add the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract together and whisk until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment